Restaurants, Bars, Cafés
Most recommended restaurants/cafés/bars around Castelo do Mar (by distance/type, for rating see the st*rs)
Next and Best Bakery-Conditery-Bar-Café in Ribeira Brava handmade!
- Café, Bistro, Bakery, Conditor Flor do Vale for breakfast- 4,4 km, 7 min by car - perfect prices, perfect products, saved our day every morning when we lived in castelo - take the fresh orange juice, hot chocolate, pastel de nata or sanduíche de atum, or snuíche mista our rating *****
Restaurants in Tabua and Ribeira Brava
- Restaurante 100 pressa - 2km/4 min by var, 1,4 km/26 min walk - perfect price, our rating: ***+
- Restaurant & Grill Muralha Terrace, next to the beach (3,3 km/7 min by car, 2,9 km/46 min walk - big fish variety, dishes for vegetarians, moderate price), our rating: ****
- Pizzaria Toscana, Ribeira Brava, 1st floor (3,6 km/8 min by car, 3,2 km/49 min walk - perfect price, sea view), our rating: **, ***+ stars for Pizza
<- restaurants direction west/ direction Calheta
In Lugar de Baixo next to the beach
- Brasa Brasil (3,2 km/6 min by car, 4,7 km/1h16 walk - rodizios/meat all you can eat but also try the potatoes with 4 cheese sauce and the Feijoada), our rating **** for carnivores but the offer for vegetarians is pretty low
Restaurant in Arco da Calheta with fantastic sea view - one of our favorites
- Engenho Velho Restaurante (11,5 km/15 min by car - big variety, good price, porco preto etc.), our rating ***** for service, food quality and view
Cocktail Bar at Madalena do Mar
- Cocktail bar "A Taberna" at night enjoying beachlife with cocktails with and without alcohol - 8,4 km, 12 min by car, if you sit on the wall at the beach you can get glasses, if you sit behind the wall at the beach you get just plastic glasses - our rating just as cocktail bar ***+
A Must is the sunset at Ponta del Sol - Why not while sitting at the beach in a restaurant?
- Restaurant Bar Mare Alta at the beach, comfortable wooden chairs - our rating ****+ for location, drinks and food
- after watching the sunset our favorite restaurant and cocktail bar is Steak & Sun 75 m from the beach in the cozy restaurant-zone/street of Ponta del Sol, our rating ****+ for the quality of drinks and dishes!
Marina of Calheta, next to Calheta Beach - one of our favorites
- Restaurant "Manifattura Di Gelato" - its not just an ice cream manufacturer but also a very good restaurant! In high season call them to make a reservation on +351291823645! There's an parking garage at the end of the Marina that is quite empty most of the time - click here to find Parking Calheta Marina., Praia da Calheta (13,2 km/21 min by car - nice place at the "harbor" of Calheta next to the beach) - our rating: ****+ ...just in case that they let you wait: The restaurant beside has the same quality
- "Marina Azul Restaurante" is a bit more guest friendly then "Manifetturo do Gelato", so our rating is *****
At Estreito da Calheta
- a must for those playing with the idea of living on Madeira "Almirante do Atlântico Beer brewery" OPEN JUST ON FRIDAY 15:00-23:00, Estreito da Calheta (16,1 km/22 min by car - german beer brewer with 2 dishes every Friday), our rating ***+ but for beer and guests *****
- "As Fontes do Horácio", Estreito da Calheta (17,1 km/23 min - perfect variety of sea food and traditional madeirense/portuguese dishes), our rating ****
At Ponta do Pargo
- O Farolim, Ponta do Pargo (28,3 km/33 min - who comes to the end of the world and is looking for a perfect selection), our rating ****+
At Paul do Mar - the old road up through the old tunnels and the serpentines are a "MUST" for visitors
- Restaurante Sabor a Mar, 21 km/30 min - restaurant next to the beach, perfect sea food, those who drive the old serpentines have an unforgettable view), our rating ****+ for ambiente and location, you can take the glasses to sit on the wall and enjoy the sunset or just the tides and waves and surfers
- Bar da Lapa, (20 km/29 min - restaurant, perfect to sit inside, very goos sea food), our rating ***+
-> restaurants direction east/ direction Funchal
- Famos Espetada (skewer) Restaurant! Serving Steak on the laurel skewer traditional style! Restaurante Santo António, Câmara de Lobos (19,1 km 22 min - perfect espetada/meat skewers, grand menu variety/typical madeirense kitchen), our rating ****+
- Best Fish Restaurant on Madeira is for sure "Restaurante Marisqueira O Barqueiro" also serving a vegetarian plate for those jaining the carnivores. Our Rating *****.
- The best sushi restaurant on Madeira is for sure Island Wok in Funhcal next to Forum Madeira! Also vegetarians do have a grand variety of dishes! You find a typical chinese buffet but better quality then I found all over the world! So this is our absolute favorite restaurant! Our rating *****+! Parking at Forum Madeira recommended!
Funchal's most famous sandy beach "Praia Formosa" with 4 more or less equal good Restaurants next to the beach
open google maps to find your free parking zone - click here
- Praia Formosa Restaurant- 19,5 km, 24 min, not for the the late evening, just during day, our rating ****+ due to location
- Our favorite: Restaurante Sabor a Fado in Funchal: A very small, family owned and managed restaurant in Funchal, Tel. +351925612259, reservation mandatory! The Restaurant is lead in 2nd generation with 3 generations of the family singing tradtional Fado every day and 3 generations serving the guests every day! The restaurant opens every day at 18:00, but reservations can be done all day. The family with friends starts singing and playing the portuguese guitar every day at 19:30 till 23:30: So reservation is best for 19:15 - don't be late! Our rating ***** but just to recommend who like Life Music and Life entertainment next to their table!
- Il Vivaldi in Funchal, near the Marina: High quality dishes ad extraordinary athmosphere. All pictures the owner and manager is painting by himself. If you're seraching for a present: He's also painting on wine boxes and selling at the shop below the restaurant - but you have to ask for, our rating ****
- La Pasta, Funchal (23,5 km/29 min - best pizza in Funchal, try "Pizza Mantua"!), our rating for pizza and pasta *****
Restaurants at Camacha - region behind Funchal up the mountain on 1.000 m altitude +/- be aware: You have to sit inside!
- Adega do Paraiso, Camacha (30,3 km/34 min - who is heading to St. Jorge or Santana or Ribeiro Frio should eat here - traditional madeirense), our rating ****
- Abrigo o Pastor, Ribeiro Frio/Camacha (34,5 km/41 min - unfortunately are dogs not welcome, our rating ****+
-> Restaurants at north coast
- Restaurante/Bar Da Ribeira Da Laje (30,3 km/38 min - when he moved from Seixal beach we were seaching for him till we found him again! But beware: in November-February in the north there's sun just between 11-13 o'clock because of the mountains), our rating: *** but for location ****+
- Restaurante Quinta do Furão, Santana but reservation in the afternoon/evening necessary - click here. (61,7 km, 1 h drive - just who visits Santana!), our rating: **** but for view and location *****